A diagnosis of some neurological conditions, such as Epilepsy, Stroke and Brain Tumour, requires you have to notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA). A list of medical conditions can be found at DirectGov.

Wheelchair user and Motability carPlease note the law requires the individual to inform the DVLA of any condition which may affect their ability to drive safely. You will be sent a questionnaire to fill in and asked for your consent for the DVLA to contact your doctor. They will then decide whether you can continue to drive and how long before they will re-assess the situation.

If you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance or PIP then there are several other benefits that you may be entitled to, which will help with driving:

You may be entitled to a free disabled tax disc

Access to the Motability Scheme, which provides a simple way to enjoy a new car, scooter, or powered wheelchair without the worry of owning or running one.

Access to a Blue Badge. The is for drivers or passengers with severe mobility problems who have difficulties using public transport. It allows holders of a Blue Badge to park close to where they need to go and operates throughout the UK. It is administered by local councils, so check your local council website for instructions on how to obtain one in your area.

You can get access to disbled toilets in shopping centres and pubs by using a Radar key from Disability Rights UK.

Other websites and sources of information that may be useful updated January 2019

Links to information and advice about mobility aids, including walking aids, scooters and powered wheelchairs, and access ramps. Updated March 2015.


The Brain Charity lists these insurance companies for information, but does not recommmend any in particular. Updated January 2018.

^ top