Coronavirus: How to get Help

Find coronavirus help in your local area from the UK Government.

The Brain Charity can also help anyone with a neurological condition, their family and carers at this time.

If you need help, please get in touch: Email The Brain Charity or call us free on 0800 008 6417 (Monday-Friday: 9am-4.30pm)

Coronavirus: Temporary carer’s allowance easements in response to cv-19 outbreak (Disability Rights UK)

A carer is someone who cares for a family member or friend who needs help with everyday living. The carer is not paid for doing this.

As a carer, you have rights under the Care Act of 2014. You may be entitled to claim a benefit called Carer's Allowance.

A carer who needs support to carry out their role as a carer can ask for their own assessment by the local council. This Carer's Needs Assessment is specifically about the carer's needs - and is not about those of the person they care for:

Contact the social services department of the council covering the area where the person you care for lives, and ask for a needs assessment.

More advice and support

  • Carers UK
    Charity giving carers information, advice and support
    • Find your local support
  • Carers Trust
    Charity for, with, and about carers
  • Carers Direct
    Free helpline for carers on 0300 123 1053 (Mon-Fri 9am-8pm; Sat and Sun 11am-4pm). You can ask for a translator.
    You can also get help by email.

More information

Visit our library to read our copy of the Disability Rights UK booklet Your Guide to the Care Act: What you need to know about social care in England.


Help for carers